Tuesday, June 9, 2009

:: One of the best homemade Italian dishes EVER ::


Baked Ziti with Spinach and Tomatoes
from the kitchen of Anna Jones

3/4 pound hot Italian sausages, casings removed (or mild if you don't like too much spice)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 28-ounce can diced peeled tomatoes
1/4 cup purchased pesto sauce (I like to use homemade if I have it)
10 ounces ziti or penne pasta (about 3 cups), freshly cooked
8 cups ready-to-use fresh spinach leaves (about 2/3 of 10-ounce package)
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)

Heat heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic and sauté until sausage is cooked through, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices to pan. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in pesto. Season sauce with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly oil 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Combine pasta, spinach, mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese in large bowl. Stir in hot tomato sauce. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese over. Bake until sauce bubbles and cheeses melt, about 30 minutes. ENJOY!!!
*Offer this simple, hearty dish with a green salad & crusty garlic bread. =)

2 comments:

Englishfam said...

Jennica this recipe looks TO DIE FOR!! I am so excited to try it. I don't make my own pesto, so what kind would you recommend I buy and where would I get it?

Jennica said...

I would reccomend Harmons...I am not sure but Macey's or Sunflower Market might have some. And if you want to make it this week just stop by and I can get you some of my homemade pesto!!! ...just facebook or call me first. =)